Tagged by Joncormier, blast him.
1. Apparently I have a mildly epileptic-type brain: I’ve been getting the Big/Small thing since I was quite young, something I can only describe as The Beat since I was about twelve, a very weird thing peculiar to myself that’s sort of like the feeling you get when you hold one of those old high-school metal rulers (with the cork backing) in your hand and squeeze lightly, except the sensation isn’t localized in my hand…or anywhere else…and I don’t know when the hell that started up…and one summer when I was fifteen I had something like a half-dozen long-duration heavy-duty deja vu experiences per day, every day, for about a month or so. It got real old, real fast.
2. I’m always exasperated by the annual research summary that for some reason makes it into the papers, about synaesthesia. Now, I have synaesthesia, though a mild form…and I can tell you, it’s a blessing…and therefore these researchers really bug me, because somehow they always get it tremendously wrong. Why oh why do they get it so wrong? They describe it as (basically) magic, and claim that it’s a very special thing, that only happens to very special people. And I disagree with them like you wouldn’t believe. In fact I have my own theory about it which I think renders theirs pretty much Ptolemaic…
3. I have a very acute sense of smell. This is not a blessing, except in very specific circumstances. However as I get older, I think it’s getting more blunted. At last, some olfactory peace and quiet!
4. I can (or at least, could) inch along in calculus, I can keep up with a great deal of theoretical physics, even the wacky stuff, the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram has no secrets from me…but simple questions of mechanics defeat me utterly. The lunar cycle confuses me, the reason why X-rays are more energetic than radio waves totally escaped me for several years, I couldn’t accept that things should be so arranged in the universe that the phonograph should even be able to reproduce sound at all, and I was in my thirties before I had an adequate grasp of how a pulley works. Of course, I knew that it worked…I suppose I even knew why…but how was always the big problem for me. I suspect this may be partly neurological.
5. I have a lot of dreams with extremely comprehensible plotlines, that often make good sense after I’ve woken up. Jeez, this brain stuff is beginning to be a theme, let’s change it up.
6. Generally speaking, I don’t care for vegetables that begin with the letter “A”. Take that, neuroscience!
7. I know the one word in the English language that contains four different consecutive consonantal sounds in a single syllable, and not including an “S – Blank – Blank” construction (str, schr, spl, etc.). They say there isn’t one, but there is. I checked. More of a psychiatry thing going on there, I guess…
8. I’m a lousy, lousy, absolutely rotten salesman. Cadging drinks I can do, but sales: no way. This may have something to do with the fact that many people think I’m kinda full of it. And who knows, they might be right! Or, y’know…they might be jerks.